Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cooking at Home: Barley and Hot Dog Stew


A couple nights I made a real yummy stew for myself that I thought would share it with you all.
I made it up as I went along, but it turn out well. Here is what I made:

All the major ingredients
Ingredients:
1 red potato chopped
1 blue potato chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 clove of garlic crush
2 natural casing hot dogs ( I used all beef)
1 tomato chopped
1 cup of red wine
1 teaspoon of marjoram
2 tablespoons of basil
2 tablespoons of oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup barley
2 cup beef broth


First you want to saute the potatoes, pepper, and garlic in a little oil. Once the peppers softens a bit add the hot dogs and cook for about 5 more minutes stirring it once in a while.
Tomato and Wine
Add Hot Dog!
Pepper, Potatoes and Garlic
Then add the tomatoes, spices and wine.
Let it cook for a couple of minutes then add the beef broth and barley, add water to cover with about a half inch of liquid if need.
Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer.
 Simmer for about a hour.  Serve it hot.
Ready to serve.

Add time to eat!
This recipe can be changed easily enough to suit your own tastes.  Have fun and well.

I got my hot dogs from Downtown Meats and the vegetables from Farmer's Market in Bemidji.

No comments:

Post a Comment